Michael Hagan ’15
All it took was a simple reminder email from Southwest Airlines to peak my eagerness to return to Providence College after a full year abroad. A wave of excitement struck me as I read, “Your trip to Providence is just a few days away.” Senior year is upon me. While it is bittersweet to leave my home in Maryland after such a whirlwind of a summer, I am raring to make the most of the time between now and that fateful third weekend in May. One of my goals in going to college far from home has been to experience those things both major and minute that give Rhode Island and greater New England an identity distinct from my own beloved Old Line State. I have begun to list out just several of the important tasks towards this end that need doing before my class’ rendezvous with destiny on May 17:
1. See a Ballgame at Fenway Park
I have missed too many opportunities to visit the cathedral of Boston, and this fall is the time to right this wrong.
Bonus Points: See my Orioles play the Red Sox at Fenway
Bonus Point Multiplier: See the O’s win at Fenway
2. Complete the Awful Awful Challenge at Newport Creamery
Drink three, get your fourth free… what could possibly go wrong?
3. Pay a visit to this Cape everyone is always talking about
It has been alleged that there is some kind of enormous island filled with beautiful beaches and picturesque villages somewhere off the southeastern shore of Massachusetts. I’ll believe it when I see it.
4. See a Film at the Avon Theater on Thayer Street
I might even dress like a hipster for the full experience.
5. Eat Lobster Fresh from the Waters of New England
I may have to sneak some Old Bay to the table…
Bonus Points: The guy who sold me the lobster caught it himself earlier that day
6. ‘Go into the woods to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I cannot learn what it has to teach, and not, when I come to die, discover that I have not lived’
… or at least camp out for a night or two.
Bonus Points: Spot a moose
7. Wear Matching “Four More Years of FDR” Pins with Dr. Grace on Election Day
I hope he wears his for midterms…
8. Max Out a Beer Club Card at The Abbey. Get a T-Shirt.
35-cent wing night may end up being a little pricier for me than in years past…
9. Win an Intramural Championship. Get a T-Shirt.
I’ve been training rigorously for inner-tube water polo for over a year now
10. Crash a Brown Party. Pretend to be an Ivy Leaguer.
I’m sure they will be enamored by tales of my research fellowship in Australia through which I conducted an in depth study of the effects of climate change on the marsupial population.
11. Run the Cox Half-Marathon
This goal may be a stretch, but it is something to aspire too. The necessary training regimen might not be compatible with items 2 and 8.
12. Complete a Senior Th… you know what, we’ll just cross that bridge when we come to it
13. Actually Eat Clams at Clam Jam
So help me God I will arrive on time this year.
14. Persuade a Current High School Senior to Consider PC
Because this experience has been too wonderful not to share
All the Bonus Points: Aforementioned high school senior enrolls
Here’s to the year ahead. I am so thankful for the community we share it in.